Tuesday 20 November 2012

Visit to a Combination of Old folks home + Orphanage

Finally, I found a combination of Old folks home & Orphanage in Malaysia! :D
Pusat Jagaan Beribuan Kasih, it is located at Kajang and I just went there this morning.
I found it in a forum, and this is their official website:
http://www.u-may.com.my/charity.htm

Thanks to Sing Yun who is willing to fetch me thr, it took us around 45 minutes to reach there.
I've brought my hamper that I won in MIID Super Shutter competition for them and when I pass it to one of the orphan there, she was so happy! She is 18 years old, at first I thought that she is the worker/staff there because she is the one that I was contacting with all the time (I'd contacted them 3 weeks ago before Deepavali but they are busy so my visit has been postponed to today - 20/11/2012 Tue)

Surprisingly, she told me that there is NO staff who work there, the only one who in charge of the home is Kavitha who is the founder of the home, and the young girl is helping everyone to cook everyday.

One of the advantage of having a combination of old folks home and orphanage is that they can take care of each other, for example the elderly are in charging to keep the house clean by sweeping the floors, washing the clothes etc in this home; while the children (older teens) in charge of cooking for everyone and wash the plates.

Although it is just a very small home, everyone is living together happily just like a family! I was really touched to see this situation. I went there at 11am and had interviews with the children and the elderly. From the interviews, I found out that most of them are satisfied with the current situation although they are lacking of facilities such as chairs, tables and fans. Anyhow when I ask them whether they prefer a bigger and more comfortable space, they will be very excited to know more about it. When I started to conduct a survey to one of the orphan, few of them came to help me translate into Tamil for the younger orphan who doesn't really understand English. They are very helpful and I can even pass few of my survey forms for them to help me to ask the younger children. Majority of them agree to the idea of integration of the both groups in one home.

On the other hand, there are also some of them who disagree with the idea to combine the both groups but only a 2-3 people who are disagree with that. Most of the elderly answered my survey questions with uncertain / neutral answers because they are not sure about it and they are already used to the current situation, this shows that they are still able to adapt with new environment provided. Nevertheless, they have no problem living together with the children and they are willing to contribute to maintain the cleanliness of the home. The children are happy to live together with the elderly and they have no problem in communicating with each other although they are from different races and religion! They are mostly Indians, followed by Chinese and there is one Japanese old folk who is disabled living there.

Sadly, the home is very small and the space is very congested, there is only 2 rooms (one for the female orphans and one for the elderly), the male orphans have to sleep in the study area area next to the car porch area in the night, and their dining area is actually an outdoor area where the elderly are sitting there most of the time.

The orphans are very independent, they cook by themselves and they can even serve and take care of the elderly. During the lunch time, the children let the elderly to eat first because there is not enough tables and chairs for everyone to eat together. This shows that they have manners and they show respect to the elderly. They also do not forget to pray before eating. They have only curry potatoes and eggs for lunch and they said it is enough and very delicious.

There are actually many problems in the home but most of them are satisfied with it. Yet I'm much more better than them in terms of my living condition yet I always complain about life. I've to learn from them, appreciate what I have and try to adapt to the environment but not asking for more.

Before I leave, I gave RM20 for them to buy more vegetables. This is a very meaningful experience where I can learn about life.

The middle girl is the 18 years old girl I mentioned who in charge of cooking for everyone in the house. She is very helpful and friendly.

This is the Study area with only a few old tables and chairs. At night, this area will turn into a public sleeping area for the boys.
 

This is the room for the elderly, one of them is folding clothes on the floor.


The living area.


Outdoor area where they hang their clothes.

Car Porch area turns into an open air dining area.

The Main Door to enter the home.

The entrance (left) and the dining area (right)

An example to show the integration of elderly and children having meals together


No comments:

Post a Comment